For the first project I was given for the Multimedia course I am doing, I have to create a mask for the animal I consider to be my 'Power Animal'. My PA is an animal I feel I can related to, and after research I completed, I would then choose my animal based on it's attributes etc. Once the mask is created, we than have to create a short flip book/animation of ourselves wearing the mask we make.
The Red Fox

As the only specie of fox in the united kingdom, the red fox is simply referred to as 'the fox'. The red fox is native to the USA and Canada, although is now recognised world wide. I chose the red fox after I had short listed around 5 animals, (the fox, horse, elephant, booby and an elephant), as I felt like the attributes which it carried most represented me as a person. Some of the attributes which the fox carries are that its clever, persistence, cunning and gentle. I feel i can related to all of these in some way or another. The fox is an animal that I have also liked for many years ad therefore I feel I can relate to it a lot. A Japanese folklore 'Kitsune' refers to foxes as faithful guardians, lovers and friends.
Fox Mythology
Kitsune (foxes), are usually associated with Inari, the Shinto deity of rice. Originally, kitsune were Inari's messengers, but the line between the two is now blurred as stories have been altered and changed over time and it is now thought that Inari himself, was a fox. There are now entire shrines dedicated to kitsune, where devotees can go and leave their offerings and show their love for the kitsune.

[This is the 'Fushimi Inari Kitsune Shrine in Kyoto]
-----------------------------------------
Usually, foxes are perceived as vermin and are generally hated, however this is not true. Only 8% out of 4000 british people surveyed actually said that they hate foxes. Foxes are also present in the world of Fashion. many different designers such as Alibaba, Canadian Fur and many other designers from northern Canada and from around the world. Fox Fur in fashion is extremely expensive costing around £1,400 for just a shawl.
In the wild, most foxes generally live up to 10 years although most only live 3 or 4 years due to hunting, road kill and diseases. Fox-like features often include a muzzle (fox face) which consists of a long snout, and brush (bushy tail). The red fox often has an auburn pelt, and the end of it's tail usually has a white marking. Foxes generally live in small groups and are generally not 'pack' animals. Foxes are omnivores and their diet is largely made up of invertebrates. However, it also includes rodents, rabbits and other small mammals, reptiles, (such as snakes), and all other kinds of small animals.
_
No comments:
Post a Comment